Friday 28 November 2014

Colourful Chicken Risotto

I have said previously said that my girls are fussy eaters. Technically Elizabeth is the fussy one and Rebecca copies. However, Rebecca is usually more willing to try new things, especially when Elizabeth is not around. So my new cooking challenge is to introduce new food to Rebecca at lunchtimes during the week when Elizabeth is at school.

Today I tried Colourful Chicken Risotto from The Baby-Led Weaning Cookbook by Gill Rapley & Tracey Murkett.

I have never tried risotto, it's not a dish that appeals to me, but as Rebecca is such a great fan of rice I thought I would give it a go. How hard could it be... (nicknamed the "Death Dish" on Australian Masterchef)?

The recipe is as follows:

1tbsp olive oil
25-50g butter
1 small onion chopped or sliced
200-300g chicken diced (I used one chicken breast)
750ml chicken stock
1 small red pepper sliced
1 small courgette sliced
1 handful of sweetcorn tinned or frozen
250g risotto rice
2tbsp Parmesan cheese grated
Pepper for seasoning

Method:
Heat the oil and butter in a large pan. When the butter is melted, add the onion and fry until soft. Add the chicken, fry until it is sealed.
Put the stock on in separate pan (a small one will do).
Add the peppers & courgettes to the chicken, fry for about 3-4 minutes until they are beginning to soften. Add the sweetcorn. Add the rice, mix it in until it is all coated with the butter/oil mixture.
Add the stock one ladleful at a time. Mix until the liquid is absorbed. Then add the next ladleful and mix until it is absorbed into the rice. Repeat this until the rice is plump but still has a bite and the overall consistency in the pan is creamy (this took me about 30 minutes).
Take the pan off the heat, stir in the Parmesan cheese and black pepper.



The overall result was ok. I'm fairly sure I cooked it correctly. It was creamy and silky, but not really to my taste or Rebecca's. I did enjoy the veg and chicken though but I think I'll stick to long grain and basmati rice.

I give this meal 4/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment