Friday 5 December 2014

Easy Cheesy Bread Rolls

Easy Cheesy Bread Rolls
Attempt 1
I made these rolls according to the recipe in Annabel Karmel's My Favourite Recipes.

Ingredients

  • 1x7g sachet of fast action yeast
  • 1tsp sugar
  • 150ml hand-hot water
  • 60g mature Cheddar cheese grated
  • 30g Parmesan cheese grated
  • 225g white bread flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1tbsp sunflour oil
  • 1 egg, beaten for greasing
  • Seeds for sprinkling (I used sesame and poppy seeds)

Method
  1. Mix yeast, sugar and 3tbsp water in a bowl. Stir to dissolve the yeast. Leave it to stand for 5 minutes or until frothy.
  2. Stir together flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle and add the oil, yeast mixture and water.
  3. Mix into a soft dough. Add more water if it is too dry.
  4. Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth - about 10 minutes.
  5. Pat the dough into a circle about 20cm (8in) across. Spread the cheese over it then fold the dough in half, then in half again so that the cheese is enclosed. Knead for 1-2 minutes.
  6. Divide into about 8 pieces. Shape them into balls and place on an oiled baking sheet.
  7. Leave to rise for about 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
  8. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees (180 fan). Brush with egg. Sprinkle with seeds. Bake for about 12-15 minutes.
This is a really good recipe to do with the children. My two especially loved kneading the dough, spreading the cheese onto the dough and making the dough balls. They made tiny ones, so I had to watch my time so they didn't over cook.
Jeff preferred these rolls to attempt 2.

Attempt 2 - Even easier cheesy bread rolls

I decided to try to make cheesy bread rolls using the Bridge Rolls recipe that I wrote about earlier in the year.
I followed the recipe as usual to make the dough. Once the dough was finished in the bread machine, I turned it out and split it in half. I used half of the dough to make normal rolls, and I used the other half to make cheesy rolls, following the method above from point 5 onwards.
I prefer the rolls done this way. They were easier to make and lighter to eat and the cheese taste was more subtle.
The girls still got to do knead the cheese into the dough and make the balls etc. So they were happy! And they each got cheesy rolls in their packed lunches.

No comments:

Post a Comment