Monday 15 June 2015

Cookies and Mallow Chocolate Heaven Cake

Cookies and Mallow Chocolate Heaven Cake
The plan had been to make the best carrot cake in the world for my birthday. However after eating most of the original cake myself and having a good amount of the one I made for Jeff's mum, I wanted to try something else for my birthday.

The idea was for a cookies and cream cake. And I kid you not, I had a dream that I used the marshmallow icing and woke up thinking it was a wonderful idea!

I used recipes from the Primrose Bakery recipe book. For my first attempt, I used normal cake tins and made a two tier cake with icing in the middle and on the top. Second time round I thought I'd try out my Wilton Heart Cake Tins which I haven't used since the Candy Cake. I doubled up the cake recipe and made two batches of the icing to do it all. However, I think this cake is a little too soft and moist to hold it's shape with the heart insert. Plus it was gigantic!

Heart Insert
So here's the basic recipe for the two tiered cake I made.

Chocolate Cake
  • 115g good quality dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
  • 85g unsalted butter, at room temp
  • 175g soft brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs separated
  • 185g plain flour
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp bicarb of soda
  • Pinch of salt
  • 250ml semi skimmed milk at room temp
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 170C (fan) and grease and line 2 cake tins.
Break the chocolate and break into pieces and melt. I use the microwave on 30 second blasts, the stir until it is completely melted. You can use a bowl over simmering water though.
In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar until the mixture is pale and smooth.
In a separate bowl with clean beaters, beat the egg yolk for several minutes.
Slowly add the egg yolks to the creamed mixture and beat well. Next add the melted chocolate to the mixture and beat well.
Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
Combine the milk and vanilla extract in a jug.
Add a third of the flour to the chocolate mixture, beat well.
Pour in a third of the milk and beat again. Repeat these steps until all the flour and milk have been added.
In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks start to form. Carefully fold the egg whites into the batter using a metal spoon.
Divide the mixture into the 2 cake tins.
Cook for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean after being inserted in the centre of one of the cakes.
Leave them to cool in the tins for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool. Peel the greaseproof paper from the bases of the cakes.

Marshmallow Icing
  • 120g granulated sugar
  • 80g golden syrup
  • 1 1/2 tbsp water
  • 2 large egg whites
Cook the sugar, syrup and water in a saucepan over a high heat until the mixture reaches the soft-ball stage (115C). This took a few minutes.
Remove from heat.
Meanwhile, in a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks start to form. With the blades still beating on a low speed, slowly pour in the hot sugar syrup in a steady stream on the egg whites.
Continue to beat on a low speed until all the hot syrup is in the mixing bowl.
Increase the speed to medium high and continue beating the mixture until it becomes thick, glossy and cool.

Spread a layer of this icing in between the two layers of cake and spread or pipe the rest on top.

Cookies!
Because I wanted this to be a cookies and cream cake, I added 6 crushed oreos on top of the first layer of icing. And I took out the centre of about 6 oreos and blitzed the biscuit then sprinkled it on top of the cake.
This is the basic 2 layered version
I would love to hear what you think of this cake. Please leave a comment.

2 comments:

  1. Is that the one I had? It was DELICIOUS! Like seriously... YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first comment! Thank you. Yes, that's the one.

    ReplyDelete